Wednesday 22 January 2020

After thought...



Someone brought it to my attention recently that I have adopted the habit of writing a lot about heartbreaks, abuse, violence, generally all the opposites of love. This has become a norm for me, as I’ve realised.
I have now decided to try my best to focusing more on love. It might be a little difficult as I have been out of touch with the feeling in a while, but I intend to try.
First, I need to set the record straight. I am a romantic, as opposed to popular belief. I do love the idea of falling in love and living happily ever after. I enjoy the idea of a man and a woman being thoroughly and absolutely in love, that nothing could ever go wrong. And contrary to what I may have portrayed in my posts, I do hope to get the same feeling someday.
The reason I have spent so much time on abuse and violence in relationships is to draw awareness to it. I need our women to know it is not alright to be abused by any man in a relationship and our men to understand it is their responsibility to avoid confrontation getting violent in that relationship. I want the world to be a better place for our children, where they won’t have to see the horrors of a married couple killing each other through domestic violence daily.
As I have mentioned in past write-ups, it is our responsibility to teach the female child that a man has no right to abuse her in any way. Let’s give them the knowledge that a true gentleman will never abuse her. Tell our girls that if they should find themselves in such a predicament, then to please leave. We need to stress this point as many times as it takes for them to assimilate it. “It is okay for you to leave an abusive relationship unapologetic. It is your life, and you deserve to be happy in peace while you live it”…
On the other hand, please let us train our boys to be the gentlemen we want our girls to meet. We need to teach them how to avoid confrontations, or at least end it without violence. We have to make them understand that it is never right to hit a woman, no matter the circumstances.
If there are no good examples to train them by, let us teach them that the behaviour of society is not always right. They should be taught the difference between right and wrong.
They should be trained to always protect their women, young or old. Their conscious state as men should know that mere witnessing a woman being cheated or abused without standing up for her, is absolutely unacceptable. They should be raised with only an ideology about women – they are beautiful and should be treated with dignity and love. I will love to see a young boy hold the car door open for his sister, and show little gestures to his female friends in school without having to debate internally whether to treat women with respect it not.
Mould your sons into the kind of men you would be proud of meeting so that the future generations of women will bless you for a good job well done!


Con Amor

No comments:

Post a Comment